Fort Wingate, New Mexico
Established August 31, 1860 as a U.S. Cavalry Post Under the name of Fort Fauntleroy. Name changed to Fort Lyon in September 1861, and finally named Fort Wingate in 1861.
This centennial monument dedicated to the proud history of Fort Wingate, The Horse Soldiers who served here, and the Indian People who watched them come - first in doubt, then in friendship.
"In Beauty it is Finished..."
August 28, 1960.